Octavian Nemescu was part of the avant-garde of Romanian music, being one of the first members of the spectral current in Romania. He has signed symphonic, chamber and choral operas, and his music has been performed in both Europe and the United States.
There was no other contemporary musician in Romania to make electronic works of such sound and conceptual magnitude.
Octavian Nemescu is the Romanian musician who broke the academic barriers. His biography and productivity speak for themselves, but I think that his work is even more remarkable if it is analyzed within the cultural barriers of Romania before 1989. (Andrei Tănăsescu)
- 7 annual prizes of the Society of the Romanian Composers and Musicologists: 1980,1982,1987,1990,1993,2010, 2013, 2016, and The Great Prize in 2019.
- Musica Jurnal Prize (1917)
- The Romanian Academy Prize (1980),
- the “Aaron Copland” International prize for composition (U.S.A. – 1970),
- Officer 1st class of the National “Cultural Merits” Order, 2004